Friday 31 January 2014

Australia Day!

Something which I have learnt about Australia since being here is that they have an 'Australia Day', which is usually celebrated on the 26th of January. I have since learnt (looked it up for this post) that the reason for this is to celebrate the anniversary of the first arrival of British Ships in 1788 and the raising of the Great British flag. People use it as a day to celebrate the "diverse society and landscape of the nation" according to Wikipedia.

I'm still unsure what the traditional way is to spend the day is but I know there was parades going on and firework displays around the country in the evening. We spent it down the beach with friends and then headed to the pub in the evening to raise a glass to the beautiful country which we are in. 

Although I still don't fully understand the purpose of the day I really enjoyed the atmosphere which seemed to cover the whole country. It was almost like another Christmas- just without the presents and Christmas dinner! When I go home I will continue to celebrate Australia Day  as a reminder of my time here. 

Happy belated Australia Day!!

Iona x




No comments:

Post a Comment