Thursday 14 August 2014

New Zealand! Days 9-13

I have now returned back to Australia and found my time in New Zealand flew past far too quickly! But I'm happy to be out the cold and wind and back with Michelle too. Here's what I got up to in my last few days in New Zealand;

  • Day 9- Today I left Rotorua and got two buses to National Park. I think this was the most travel I'd done in a day while being in New Zealand so safe to say I was happy when I finally arrived at my hostel and could get into bed. One of my room mates was 63 years old...she was in bed by 7 both nights I was there!
  • Day 10- My hike up Mount Doom took place today. It was an 8 hour hike while saw me climbing up a volcano mountain which was covered in ice. This turned out not to be my idea of fun and I hated every second. Now I see it as an accomplishment but at the time I wanted to give up and go back the whole way. I even cried at one point (I was mortified! I don't cry in front of people, especially not strangers!) but this was down to injuring my knee just as we made it to the top which only made going back down that much more fun. The weather was pretty extreme to the point where at times we couldn't even see the whole group who were metres ahead because the wind was so strong and blowing the snow up and my eyelashes even froze together. However, I did get to sing "Let It Go!!" quietly to myself which was my highlight. 
  • Day 11- My day to recover from the climb and also to leave National Park and all the snow behind and move on to Wellington. This was another two bus trip but wasn't as long as the last one.
  • Day 12- Today was my last tour planned and it was the Wellington Movie Tour based on Lord of the Rings. Although I did enjoy this trip I don't think I was a big enough fan to truely get in to it. At one point we walked through a forest and the guide pointed out trees which were in the first film. I have photo's of trees...But we did get to go into the studio where they display costumes and the actual guy who worked on the movie, and many others, and did the hair/make-up/costumes etc told up some film secrets and let us have a feel of some props which were used (I held an Auks head in my hands...was really weird!).
  • Day 13- My final day in New Zealand and this consisted of nothing but heading to the airport and leaving New Zealand.

I had such an amazing time in New Zealand and I'm so glad I didn't let me fear of travelling alone stop me from seeing it. I would love to back and explore the South Island but for now I'm extremely happy and grateful for everything I got to do and see.

Only 4 weeks left in Australia now until home time!!
Iona x

Rotorua

National Park

Up Mount Doom- last effort until the top

Trying to look happy...I really wasn't

The sign which says you're at the top- shows how bad the weather was!

Some of the tress from Lord of the Rings



No comments:

Post a Comment