Tuesday 5 August 2014

New Zealand! Days 1-5

So I have made it to New Zealand!! And what a beautiful country it is. Here's what I've been up to so far;
  • Day one- woke up at 5:20 to catch my flight. Made it in good time and headed onto the plane which had been delayed for half an hour. Arrived into Auckland and headed through the airport with no problems and both my luggage bags arrived- yay!! Stayed in a hostel in Auckland
  • Day two- Left my hostel in the early hours to catch a bus up Paihia. Paihia is North of the island and a 4 hour bus ride away from Auckland. I arrived at my hostel, dumped my bags and went to explore the town. It's right by the sea so was beautiful however, I did get caught in a nasty down pour! 
  • Day three- today I went on a dolphin and Hole in the Rocks tour. This was a boat tour and with the weather still not great it was a bumpy boat ride at that! Since the weather was so bad we didn't get to go see the Hole in the Rock which is where you get to see two oceans collide but not mix (so I hear). This was the reason I went on the tour so I was a bit disappointed but still excited to see some dolphins/whales/orcas. This did not happen either. Apparently only 5% of the time marine life is not seen...again- typical! So I got a voucher to go back again for free should I ever be back up there!? 
  • Day four- another early bus ride back down to Auckland where I stayed in the same hostel as the first night. This time I was in a different room and there was 5 guys and myself...2 of the guys were over 50 years old...ah hostels! You do give some good stories! 
  • Day five- yet another early bus ride and this time down to Rotorua. I have to say that so far this is my favourite place. There's no high buildings like a city and has beautiful views of the mountains which are surrounding the town. It also helped that I could spend some of the afternoon sunbathing on our balcony which over looks the hostel's pool! 
So far I have had such an amazing trip but I am SO tired and looking forward to being in this hostel for a few nights as having to pack up everything every day was getting to be a bit of a chore! I've also managed to pick up a cold on my travels which has only added to my exhaustion but I won't let it ruin my trip!! Can't wait to explore this stunning country some more! 

x


No comments:

Post a Comment